Saturday 19 April 2008

Water soluble crayons compared

A forum friend very kindly sent me a set of (very artistic) scribbles made with Lyra Aquacolour water soluble crayons. I had been considering buying them, and she thought I could compare them with the two small sets of similar crayons I already have.

Although I don't have all the same colours, the following illustration shows the result of the test. The three brands compared are Lyra Aquacolour (L), Derwent Aquatone (D) and Caran d'Ache Neocolour II Aquarelle (C).
NB: Where the letter has been cut off, it should be (L)





The first thing I noticed was that the Derwent colours are more waxy, and less pigmented than the Lyra. This is also very obvious once water is brushed over the lines.

My Caran d'Ache Neocolours have no discernible point - judging from the pictures online of these, that is more my fault than theirs! I have always tried to avoid wasting any of the crayon by sharpening them, but I suspect that's not a good idea, as I find it difficult to be sure where I'm going to make the mark!

This has been a very useful experiment - now I only have to decide whether to buy a set of Lyra Aquacolours, or to increase my collection of Caran d'Ache Aquarelle. Knowing my weakness for tins full of beautiful colour, I suspect I may go for the former ...

... or there again ...

Back to the drawing board!

No comments:

Post a Comment